Monday, October 5, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

We recently had dinner at a friends house and they made us a delicious tortilla soup. With the weather starting to think about getting cool again, I always love to make a good soup. They are hearty, healthy, and warm your soul.

This is my rendition of tortilla soup and was delicious!

1 large container of low sodium/reduced fat chicken broth
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 can reduced sodium corn
5 chopped green onions
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into cubes
1 cubed squash
1 cubed zuchini
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups of cooked brown rice- (I use 1-2 bags of instant brown rice)
1 handful diced cilantro
1 lime-juiced
1 tbsp Chipotle Chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
tortilla chips
shredded Cheddar cheese
1 avacado chopped in cubes


DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine the broth, tomatoes and chilies and tomato sauce, corn, and green onions. Bring just to a boil then add the chicken, squash and zuchini. Boil for 10 minutes until chicken is cooked. Add black beans, cilantro, lime juice, rice and chipotle chili powder along with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat.

Serve bowl of soup. Top with crumbled chips, cheese and avacado.

ENJOY!

For crockpot--Prepare all of your veggies and onions etc the night before and store in a bag in the fridge.  Store onions in their own bad.  You could even cook your rice the night before. 

I add everything but the squash, zuchini and rice to the crockpot and top with whole chicken breasts.  Push them down just enough to be covered with liquid.  Cook on low all day. 

As soon as I walk in the door I add my veggies to the crockpot.  When I get settled I remove the chicken so I can shred it.  When done, add your rice and and shredded chicken and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment