Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Italian Chicken Soup

This was a recipe that another mom shared with me that I adapted a little for us.  It was such a nice change from the soups I normally make.  It was healthy, hearty, and really good!  And extra delicious with a good crusty bread!



I have since changed this some to be instantpot ready and it is even easier!  My whole family loves this meal!  My kids will eat just about any soup if I let them scoop it up with corn chips but both of mine always ask me for leftovers of this the next night.  We love it with garlic bread on the side!

INSTANTPOT VERSION:

Ingredients:


  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion diced
  • 1-2 tbsp. chopped garlic
  • 3-4 carrots diced (you can also used pre sliced or shredded carrots)
  • 3-4 celery stalks, diced
  • 1 bag of frozen diced hash browns (or 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced)
  • 1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 2 4 oz. cans green chili
  • 1-2 juiced lemons
  • 1 rotisserie chicken deboned and diced (I use 1 bag of frozen precooked diced chicken)
  • Basil, dill, Italian seasoning, Greek seasoning or whatever else you like!
  • 2 32 oz. chicken broth
Directions:


  • Turn your IP on to the saute function.  
  • Saute onion and garlic.  Add the other veggies and sauté them for 3-5 minutes.  Then add everything else on top!  I usually add broth last and push contents down a little if needed so that it is all in the broth.   
  • Set your IP to manual for 15 minutes.  Let it natural release for 10 minutes them you can quick release the rest of the way.  I always throw a dish towel over the top to contain splatter!
  • Serve with garlic bread on the side.  Top your bowl with cheese and extra lemon juice if you like!




ORIGINAL RECIPE:

This was a recipe that another mom shared with me that I adapted a little for us.  It was such a nice change from the soups I normally make.  It was healthy, hearty, and really good!  And extra delicious with a good crusty bread!



Ingredients:


  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion diced
  • 1-2 tbsp. chopped garlic
  • 2 32 oz. chicken broth
  • 4 carrots diced (you can also used pre sliced or shredded carrots)
  • 5 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 2 4 oz. cans green chili
  • 1/2 c diced parsley
  • 1 rotisserie chicken deboned and diced (I use 1 bag of frozen precooked diced chicken)
Directions:


  • Saute onion and garlic.  Add the other veggies and sauté them awhile too.  Then add everything else but chicken or parsley.  Once everything has cooked until tender you can use a hand mixer and puree just a bit to thicken.  (You don't have to do this and I don't, but I am told it really makes it yummier.)  Then add the chicken and parsley.
  • You c an also add a little pasta if that appeals to your family. 


No comments:

Post a Comment